- City: Kyiv
- Full or part-time employment : Full-time
- Willingness to take a person with a disability/student/veteran : Yes
- Higher Education : Required
- Contract period : 2-year contract with an option to extend
Help – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe: We are a non-profit, independent organization founded during the Afghanistan war in 1981 and is now active worldwide in 26 countries. Help provides rapid assistance in the event of disasters, sustainable reconstruction, and long-term development assistance for and with people in need, especially in Africa, Asia and Europe. Help is currently providing emergency aid for victims in Ukraine. Along with its strong local partner organizations it is active in sixteen oblasts, conducting humanitarian aid through WASH activities, medical/psychological support, housing support and veterinary support.
- Duty Station: Representative Office Kyiv, Ukraine with field support visits
- Reporting to: Country Director (CD) Ukraine & HQ Programme Coordination (PC) in Bonn, Germany.
- Working hours: 39h/week
- Duration: Initial 2-year contract with an option to extend
Overall Job Purpose
The Country Programme Manager (PM) is responsible for supporting Help’s Ukraine mission in the implementation, strengthening and monitoring of the country’s programing aspect in line with Help’s Country Strategy, plans and policies, and in strong coordination with the Country Director and HQ Programme Coordinator (PC) in Bonn, Germany. The PM supports the mission in the implementation of ongoing projects, in coordination with Help’s technical focal points and in close collaboration with CD and HQ PC, while contributing to regular engagement with local stakeholders and main donors at the country level.
- Play a key role in developing and defining the Country Strategy of the mission under the supervision and coordination of the Country Director and HQ Programme Coordinator.
- Take lead in the development of new concept notes and project proposals (design of the project rationale, log-frame, narrative and budget in cooperation with technical focal points), under supervision of the Country Director and in collaboration with HQ Programme Coordinator.
- Supervise, coordinate, provide quality support to Help’s technical focal points and Ukrainian Programme Department and field staff.
- Ensure a quality implementation of Help’s country program in coordination with Help’s Technical focal points and HQ Programme Coordinator.
- Coordinate and supervise the timely and quality submission of donor reports.
- Represent Help in relevant meetings (cluster, working groups, etc.)
Specific Responsibilities & Tasks
- Programme implementation & supervision, quality control and reporting.
- Supervise and keep up to date work-plans and related financial plans of projects with the contribution of technical focal points and relevant team members, ensuring timely and quality implementation.
- Guarantee the application of Help’s procedures and donor rules for reporting and implementation, in collaboration with the Country Director and HQ Programme Coordinator.
- Support the management of budgets in line with donor and Help’s guidelines, supporting budget and program revisions/realignments when necessary.
- Provide guidance and support to technical focal points and Ukrainian Programme staff on work-plans, budgets and spending, and monitoring of the implementation of activities and achievement of results.
- In coordination with the Country Director support and oversee the MEAL system within the program.
- In coordination with Country Director, ensure all reports are properly drafted, revised, and submitted on time to donors, Country Director and HQ Programme Coordinator
- Monitor the level of progress achieved by each project, including by regular visits to project sites.
- Conduct regular field visits to support and supervise technical focal points and Programme staff.
- Develop new funding sources and actively seek funding from a diverse donor-base.
Strategy/Design and Fundraising
- Support the Country Director in the development, implementation and evaluation of the country strategy and programing, providing updated information, inputs, and recommendation for new and on-going interventions in the country.
- Contribute to the design of Country Strategy for the mission, in line with Help’s Global Strategy and in consultation with all relevant Programme staff at both country and HQ levels.
- Lead the design and drafting of new project proposals in coordination with Programme staff, Country Director and Programme Coordinator.
- Proactively creating new project and program ideas that lead to developing new contracts with existing and new donors.
- Proactively lobby new donors for new project cooperation and use established networks.
Representation & Coordination
- In coordination with the Country Director and Programme Coordinator at HQ, establish and maintain collaborative relations with donors, project stakeholders and other key actors working in the project areas.
- Together with either Country Director or Programme Department staff participate in meetings with various donors’ focal points at both national and field levels.
- Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings at national and subnational level.
- Proactively connect with partners in order to create new ideas for projects.
Human Resource Management
- In line with Help’s policies and in collaboration with HR department, participate in the recruitment of the technical focal points and other programme-related staff as requested.
- Be available to support and advise the programme staff under their line management, as required and in coordination with the HR.
- Support the Country Director to ensure that staff respect Help’s rules and regulations and adhere to Help’s Mission Values and Code of Ethics, in coordination with the HR and other relevant senior management members.
Required Qualifications & Experience
- Master’s degree in social sciences, political sciences, international relations, humanitarian and international cooperation or equivalent experience.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar level/position.
- Demonstrated experience in program strategy, design and implementation.
- In-depth knowledge of donors’ requirements and proven experience in managing funds from various donors (preferably both humanitarian and development donors).
- Demonstrated experience in managing and working within large multicultural staff teams.
- Significant working experience at management level in humanitarian assistance or development-oriented programs within an international environment, preferably in Ukraine.
- Experience in protracted conflict/post-conflict environments transitioning from humanitarian to durable solutions & stabilization contexts (highly desirable).
- Thorough knowledge of all the phases of PCM.
- Demonstrated experience in project proposal writing.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), including experience facilitating and encouraging effective team communication and team working spirit.
- Ability to set high standards for quality of work and adaptability and flexibility in stressful environments.
- Able to work in unstable, rapidly changing and insecure environment.
- Strong leadership, contextual & analytical skills combined with demonstrated organizational, management and supervisory skills.
- Language Skills: English, Ukrainian and German is an advantage.
People choose Help because they are looking for a job with impact. We also offer several benefits, including:
▸ Salaries at Help are driven by a desire to devote as many resources as possible to project work. However, our salaries are fair and in line with standards in the NGO sector.
▸ Annual leave: 30 days per year, plus public holidays in Ukraine and six additional travel days. Location-dependent security and/or isolation adjustment is then applied as a recognition that some staff are required to work in difficult places where living and working conditions are much more difficult than elsewhere.
▸ Travel expenses: Help covers the cost of one trip home per year and pays for visas, residence and work permits.
▸ All international employees are covered by a comprehensive insurance package that includes Accident and Medical Expenses Insurance, Death by Natural Cause Insurance, 24/7 access to medical assistance, including evacuation and repatriation.
Please send your application stating your salary expectations and earliest availability (please only: a cover letter, CV, professional qualification, and certificates in a file attachment and max. 5 MB data volume!) by e-mail by 25.09.2023 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your contact person is Ms. Barbara Braun
Please also state in your application where you found the job advertisement.
We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, handicap or disability. Further information on our work can be found at http://www.help-ev.de