- City: Kyiv
- Full or part-time employment : Full-time
- Willingness to take a person with a disability/student/veteran : Yes
- Higher Education : Required
- Contract period : 2-year contract with an option to extend
Help – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe: We are a non-profit, independent organization founded during the Afghanistan war in 1981 and is now active worldwide in 26 countries. Help provides rapid assistance in the event of disasters, sustainable reconstruction, and long-term development assistance for and with people in need, especially in Africa, Asia, and Europe. Help is currently providing emergency aid for victims in Ukraine and for Ukrainian refugees in Moldova. Along with its strong local partner organizations, it is active in sixteen oblasts, conducting humanitarian aid through WASH activities, medical/psychological support, housing support, winter relief operations, and veterinary support.
- Duty Station: Representative Office Kyiv, Ukraine with field support visits
- Reporting to: Country Director (CD) Ukraine & HQ Programme Administration (PA) in Bonn, Germany. Deputizes the Country Director during absences such as holidays, travel, illness, etc.
- Working hours: 39h/week
- Duration: initial 2-year contract with an option to extend
Overall Job Purpose
The position is part of the senior leadership team and provides close support and finance management in accordance with the HELP’s policy and strategies in Ukraine. The position has overall responsibility for all financial and administrative processes in compliance with the HELP’s policies & procedures, compliance with donor guidelines and regulations, providing support on grants management as well as internal and external reporting on such aspects.
The Head of Administration and Finance supervises national staff in his department and works closely with the various Technical Coordinators and program teams on all matters related to procurement, finance, and budgeting while ensuring exact financial control.
- Assist the CD with the proper implementation of HELP’s finance systems to ensure that timely and accurate financial reporting is sent to the HQ as required as well as to oversee adequate cash flow and regular follow up on budget planning and expenditures.
- Oversee and ensure that accounting systems are maintained to provide the information required for planning, monitoring, and reporting for program operations, for safeguarding assets, discharging liabilities and legal responsibilities.
- Ensure that the policies and procedures of Help, financial regulations and the accounting and cost control mechanisms of WINPACCS, are understood and fully adhered to.
- Supervise timely preparation of all mandatory monthly/quarterly and yearly accounts including the monthly finance and management reports for the CD and HQ.
- In collaboration with the CD and HQ PA, be the lead for ensuring the financial, HR and Administration integrity of program.
- Supervise accounting for all grants and in accordance with the grant agreement(s).
- Ensure good quality finance and administration systems (as per the standard HELP’s guidelines) are set up and functioning in program level.
- Communicate with different departments (program, logistics, etc.) and offices to oversee that each submit monthly budget forecasts.
- Based on in-country cash available and planned expenditure, and in consultations with CD; timely send approved monthly Fund Requests to HQ.
- With support by Finance, Procurement and Administration Managers and Officers, prepare monthly/quarterly paper and electronic (via WINPACCS) reports on expenditures against the project budget(s) and timely send these together with copies of all hardcopy receipts and other expenditure-related paperwork to HQ
- Prepare various monthly payrolls, verified by CD and send electronic and paper versions to HQ.
- Assist and provide on-going inductions to all relevant staff on the financial procedures and ensure that country team is trained and respects finance, administration and HR guidelines (the latter in collaboration with HR Manager and CD).
- Oversee all in-country payments to contract partners, vendors, colleagues, as well as reimbursement of approved expenses.
- Maintain all HELP bank accounts in-country and set-up new accounts according to programme needs in collaboration with CD.
- Ensure legible monthly bank statements are obtained and submitted with monthly/quarterly financial documentation for audit.
- Oversee with the CD that standard Help administrative procedures and policies are adhered to and used for regular administrative matters including provision of legal documents as requested by relevant official authorities.
- Follow up on all rental agreements including the HELP office(s) and vehicles, etc. to ensure timely renewal of such agreements when necessary.
- Together with CD, jointly follow-up on HELP’s legal requirements for registration and operations in country
- Provide direct HR/finance/Admin support during field missions in areas considered with gaps.
- Travel within programme to monitor compliance with policies and procedures, review operational support related tasks and work closely with field staff to enhance the operations aspect of program.
- Assist CD to ensure legal compliance with all local government taxation and labour regulations concerning employment contracts.
- Duties to be executed in close collaboration with HR Manager and reporting to CD.
- Directly oversee the implementation of policies and best practices. If necessary, ensure the establishment of a personnel handbook compliant with national labor law.
- In collaboration with the CD, responsible for all administrative aspects of the staff HR management systems to ensure transparent recruitment procedures, set up of internal rules and regulations, performance reviews, complaints systems, salary scale, local payroll, writing job descriptions, posting adverts, and organizing interviews.
- In collaboration with the CD, ensure that national staff adhere to HELP’s contractual obligations, and policies and are given internal rules.
- Coordinate actions related to the administration of human resources activities, ensuring consistency in applying HELP’s rules and procedures per national law.
Organizational Processes and Communication
- Maintain regular communication, collaboration/support with the Technical and Field Coordinators to enhance project delivery.
- Hold regular team and operational support meetings for clarity and planning.
- Conduct short administrative/finance trainings in field-sites.
- Provide information for external reports and/or donor proposals and in the creation of viable new proposals and budgets for future grants.
- Represent HELP at State/National level meetings with key stakeholders.
Required Qualifications & Experience
- A university degree in a finance/administration-related field and professional accreditation such as ACCA, CMA, CPA, or equivalent is preferred.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar level/position as an expat mainly focusing on Financial Management with INGO/UN Agency or relevant private entity. Significant working experience at management level in humanitarian assistance or development-oriented programs within an international environment, preferably in Ukraine or Region.
- Knowledge of the donor reporting requirements, such as the German Foreign Office, ECHO, UN agencies and other institutional donors.
- Strong leadership, conceptual & analytical skills combined demonstrated organizational, management and supervisory skills.
- Team-oriented, flexible, and excellent communication skills.
- Advanced computer skills, especially Excel and accounting programs (preferably WINPACCS/ or SAGE)
- Training, Coaching and mentoring skills.
- Able to work in unstable, rapidly changing and insecure environment with basic living conditions.
- Experience and knowledge of Ukraine context gained from international organizations would be an added advantage.
- Language skills: Ukrainian and English, German is a distinct advantage.
People choose Help because they are looking for a job with impact. We also offer several benefits, including:
▸ Salaries at Help are driven by a desire to devote as many resources as possible to project work. However, our salaries are fair and in line with standards in the NGO sector.
▸ Annual leave: 30 days per year, plus public holidays in Ukraine and six additional travel days. Location-dependent security and/or isolation adjustment is then applied as a recognition that some staff are required to work in difficult places where living and working conditions are much more difficult than elsewhere.
▸ Travel expenses: Help covers the cost of one trip home per year and pays for visas, residence and work permits.
▸ All international employees are covered by a comprehensive insurance package that includes Accident and Medical Expenses Insurance, Death by Natural Cause Insurance, and 24/7 access to medical assistance, including evacuation and repatriation.
Please send your application stating your salary expectations and earliest availability (please only: a cover letter, CV, professional qualification, and certificates in a file attachment and max. 5 MB data volume!) by e-mail by 25.09.2023 to: email@example.com
Your contact person is Ms. Barbara Braun
Please also state in your application where you found the job advertisement.
We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, handicap, or disability. Further information on our work can be found at http://www.help-ev.de